Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Week.

Easter was nice for my family.  We, of course, went to worship service in the morning. Then we did have some college students for the afternoon. I have to confess, I did not serve Easter dinner on fine china, we do not have any (it seems in practical with moving often). And we did use Pirate birthday napkins for Easter dinner. I have a feeling that someone somewhere will read that and cringe. Oh well! It's what we had.

Easter is about new life with Christ, His love for us and His victory over sin and death. I was looking for some nice Easter cards to send to family and I had a tough time finding what I wanted. I kept finding Easter cards that made it seem like Easter was really about celebrating the start of spring. Even the 'religious' ones seemed to be just about spring. I just want to caution the card makers though, Song of Solomon is really about a passionate love between a man and his bride. Yes, out of context, it can sound spring like in places but there is no way I am sending card with a verse on it that I know is about lovers to anyone but my own husband. Something card makers, and many others, do not seem to understand: context is king. It is not a good idea to just pick out one verse for something without looking at the verses around it to see what is really about. Now spring is a great season to be reminded of new life. I am just saying if you are going to call a Easter card 'religious' it should have a verse that points to the religious significance, focus on Christ and not just a season.

Mini rant over. For now at least.

On the topic of new life, I want to share something new that fiend is doing. My friend, Elizabeth Ahlman, her husband Chris and their two sons are moving to Germany tomorrow. I am honestly very mixed about this, only because I will greatly miss having Elizabeth a mile away. She has been a wonderfully supportive and encouraging friend and I have been greatly blessed through her.  I am very glad to live in a day in age when it easy to still keep in contact with friends through facebook, emails and skype, so we will still be friends of course.  I am thrilled for her family's new chapter to go to Germany and to serve people in Germany and a few other countries near there. Reverend Doctor Chris Ahlman has the gift to play the organ and people in that part of the world seem to be appreciative of classical sacred music. What an great way to get to do ministry!  They all leave for Germany tomorrow. I know that as they travel with their two son  (ages about 5 years and a 2 months old) that prayers are always appreciated.  If you what to know more or support them, you are of course welcome to: http://www.lcms.org/ahlman

<My daughter enjoying a play date this their oldest son. Good times.


No comments:

Post a Comment